Friday, September 20, 2013

Vintage Inspired Box Pleat Birthday Dress


 My goal was to create the perfect dress to use some of my cotton/silk blend fabric from India.  This fabric has some great body so it really made sense to make a structured dress.  This dress has a simple shape to it; a fully lined bodice with 2 darts in front and 2 in back, and 2 box pleats in the front and 2 in the back.  It is thin fabric, so it did need to be fully lined, which also gives it nice structure.  This fabric almost broke the bank at 76 rupees a meter x2 meters....so $3!?  And the lining is a vintage flat sheet.


 I hadn't done this much clothing pattern drafting and fitting since fashion school back in 2007.  It's a long process getting the fit just right but it's worth the work.  The dress was about 4" too long at first, so I shortened it...a bit too short.  Next dress I make with this pattern will be the perfect length!


Finished just in time to wear for
my birthday!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...